International Young Lawyers Mooting Competition on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
- According to WTO, as of 2015, there are 32 complaints of intellectual property rights (IPR) violations. To deal with the IPR issues effectively, the young legal professionals of the developing countries play an important role with necessary skills, capabilities, international exposure and expertise to fight at international level.
- To strengthen Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) cooperation in the BIMSTEC & CLMV region and provide opportunities for our fellow newly admitted lawyers to network, compete and learn, SEPC in association with the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MOCI) will organize an International Mooting Competition on “Intellectual Property Rights” during the Global Exhibition on Services (GES) 2019.
- Teams of Young Lawyers from 10 BIMSTEC and CLMV countries will demonstrate their advocacy skills on the chosen IPR cases. BIMSTEC and CMLV countries are working hard to strictly follow IPR arrangements, which will help the countries to move higher up in the technology ladder, encourage transfer of technology and stimulate innovation and creativity.
- Competitors (team of two) will appear in front of a 2-judge bench for the competition and the selected best 3 teams will be awarded with prizes. Practitioners of up to 5 years PQE are only eligible to participate.
This Moot Competition aims to:
- Provide the young lawyers a simulated experience of exposure to international legal framework
- Provide opportunities to young legal professionals to demonstrate their skills and capabilities. Gain valuable practice and developing, structuring and defending their own arguments.
- International platform to discuss the dispute cases on IPR complaint with the TRIPS agreement and WTO.
- Create opportunity for exchange of ideas among the young lawyers from different developing countries to gain useful insights.
- Two young lawyers from prominent law firms from each 10 BIMSTEC and CLMV countries will be invited along with senior advocates/partners from these law firms so that they can guide their juniors in the Competition and also hold B2B meetings with their Indian counterparts during GES 2019.
- SEPC will fund the two-way economy travel and 3-Days stay of the competitors and their senior partners during GES 2019.